Liberal Studies Pre-Education Option
The Liberal Studies major is a great fit for students that intend to pursue a teacher licensure program in the early or elemetary education feilds. Liberal Studies majors at OSU-Cascades can choose to have "No-Option" of study or choose the "Pre-Education Option". Either option works well with education. To help deterime which path is best for you work with your Academic Advisor. See below for contact info.
OSU-Cascades offers the Pre-Education Option within the Liberal Studies major. Students who choose this option have a transcript-visible pre-education notation on their undergraduate transcript, while also taking coursework to cover the various subject matter competencies typically needed by students entering elementary teacher licensure programs.
A few important notes if you are considering this degree:
- Liberal Studies Pre-Education is not a teacher licensure program. Students wishing to become teachers will still need to complete a licensure program, such as the OSU-Cascades Master's of Art in Teaching (MAT).
- Students can choose a major in any area for entrance into the OSU-Cascades MAT.
- Every teacher licensure program has different admission requirements and prerequisite classes, so make sure that you are planning ahead and that this degree will work for your eventual graduate work. Completing the Liberal Studies Pre-Education degree does not guarantee acceptance into any teacher licensure program, including the OSU-Cascades MAT.
Components of this degree include:
Pre-Education Option Core (99-106 credits)
Students completing the Liberal Studies Pre-Education Option, complete the Pre-Education Core which incorporates and expands upon the OSU Baccalaureate Core. Students take coursework in such areas as writing, science, literature, history, psychology, education, and geography.
The vast majority of this coursework is at the lower-division level (meaning 100 and 200-level classes). Therefore, students who are currently at COCC should be planning their class selection very carefully and in coordination with the OSU-Cascades Pre-Education advisor. See contact info below.
College of Liberal Arts Core (12-36 credits)
Students also complete a modified version of the College of Liberal Arts Core. If the student chooses to receive a Bachelor of Science (BS), the BS requirements are covered automatically by the work in the Pre-Education Core. If the student chooses to get a Bachelor of Arts (BA), he or she will need to show college level second year proficiency in a foreign language.
Liberal Studies Plan of Study/Major (45 credits)
The Liberal Studies major consists of at least 45 credits that are thematic in nature and includes at least 27 upper-division (300 and 400 level classes) developed from the course offerings of two or more departments within the College of Liberal Arts. Students can choose to complete one of OSU-Cascades' pre-designed themes or develop their own theme. Either way, the plan of study must be approved in advance by a Liberal Studies faculty advisor. More information on this process.
Students should consider incorporating classroom observation as a part of their Plan of Study. Please see the following website for additional information on this independent study course.
Electives (0-24 credits)
Students choose enough electives to bring the total for this degree to at least 180 credits. It is suggested that students choose to take the OSU-Cascades MAT prerequisite classes as electives, as well asas part of their elective hours.
OSU-Cascades MAT (Masters of Art in Teaching) Elementary Education program requirment and info
If you are a prospective or current student and would like more information on the Liberal Studies Pre-Education Option, contact:
Dianna Raschio, email@example.com, 541.322.3105
- About OSU-Cascades
- Vice President
- Board of Advisors
- Strategic Plan
- Points of Pride
- Community Events
- Maps and Directions
- Safety on Campus
- Social Media
- Contact Us
- Academic Programs
- Undergraduate Programs
- American Studies (BA/BS)
- Applied Visual Arts (BFA)
- Art (BA/BS or Minor)
- Biology (BS or Minor)
- Business (BA/BS or Minor)
- Computer Science (BS)
- Energy Systems Engineering (BS)
- English (Minor)
- Exercise and Sport Science (BS)
- General Science (BS)
- Human Development and Family Sciences (BS or Minor)
- International Studies (Double Degree)
- Liberal Studies (BA/BS)
- Military Science (Minor)
- Natural Resources (BS or Minor)
- Political Science (Minor)
- Psychology (BA/BS or Minor)
- Social Science (BA/BS)
- Speech Communication (Minor)
- Sustainability (Double Degree)
- Tourism and Outdoor Leadership (BS or Minor)
- Graduate Programs
- Undergraduate Programs
- International Programs
- Research & Scholarship
- Student Success Center
- Student Resources
- Student Online Services
- Make A Gift
- Commencement 2013
- FORCE Lab