Student Housing and Transportation

Public Transportation

Cascade East Transit (CET) provides bus service to campus and around town. Route #3 travels directly to campus, along Newport Avenue. For more information and schedules see the CET Website or call 541-385-8680. COCC also offers a free shuttle service on campus and from the bottom of the hill at Newport Avenue and College Way. For shuttle information go to the COCC Shuttle Website.

On-campus Housing

Juniper Hall, located on campus, is available for OSU-Cascades students. Contact them early -- rooms fill quickly!

Off-campus Housing

Off-campus housing is available in many forms. Listed below are a variety of housing arrangements you will find:

a set of rooms with separate bedroom(s), bath, kitchen, living room. Some apartments are advertised as furnished. This means that a minimum amount of furniture is already provided. Most apartments are rented unfurnished. Studios or Studio Apartments. Separate bath and kitchen. The living room/bedroom is combined in one room.
A set of four apartments grouped together with shared bath and kitchen privileges.
Two houses joined together at one of the outer walls.
Similar to apartments, but each unit is privately owned.
Multi-room living area (bedrooms, kitchen, dining room, living/family room) plus a private yard and garage.

The following chart gives a range of rental prices that you might find in Bend:

Type of Housing 1 Bedroom 2 Bedroom 3 Bedroom Studio
Some of these rental prices include water/sewer and garbage service.
Apartment $525-$650 $550-$1000 $625-$1300 $300-$600
Duplex $400-$750 $625-$900 $625-$1000  
Townhouse -- $750-$1400 $950-$1500  
House $500-$800 $800-$1400 $900-$1500  

Useful information before you start your housing search

What is a landlord/landlady?
Landlord/landlady is another term for the owner of the property that you rent.
What is a tenant?
The tenant is the person who rents property from the landlord/landlady.
What is a lease?
A lease is a contract between you and the owner of the property. Signing the lease means that you agree to abide by the rules and conditions that the owner has set down. You must read this information carefully and make sure you understand it before you sign anything. For example, most leases will specify that you are responsible for the rent for a 12-month period.
What is a security deposit?
A security deposit is money that you pay in advance to the owner in case you damage anything in the rental property. This deposit is sometimes refundable if you have not damaged anything. That information will be in the lease you sign.
What is a cleaning deposit?
A cleaning deposit is money that you pay in advance to the owner for cleaning the rental property before and after you move in. This deposit is normally non-refundable.
What are utilities?
Utilities in housing terms are services such as water, gas, electricity and garbage pick-up. Sometimes these services are included in the rent--usually they are separate. Your lease will define if utilities are included.
What is a property management company?
Sometimes a property owner will pay a management company to manage their rental property. This means that the company will find renters and make sure the renters follow the lease. The company may also provide basic maintenance service.

Finding off-campus housing

The sources listed below could be helpful to you in finding a place to live. When deciding on location, it is helpful to know that OSU-Cascades is considered part of the "westside" neighborhood of Bend.

The Bulletin Newspaper is the local newspaper for the Bend area. Inside each issue is the "Classified" section with advertisements for a variety of services and products. You will find information on housing in the classified section. You may call the owners or managers and ask them questions about the housing that is available before you go to view the property

You can also try another local newspaper, The Source Weekly, for their classified advertisements.

Property management Companies

Property management companies are listed in the advertising section (yellow pages) of the phone book under "Property Management."

On-Campus Resources

Off-campus housing information can also be found on bulletin boards around campus. The COCC Office of Student Life in Grandview (1-541-383-7590) is a good place to check. They provide a weekly list of off-campus housing that is available. Individuals or groups of students looking for a roommate/roommates often list information on bulletin boards in this building. They also have a new online listing service available. Be sure that you understand the agreement between you and the other roommate(s). For example, will food costs be shared or will you all buy your own food? What about telephone expenses? Who will receive the bill and how will you keep track of who makes which calls? These and other similar issues will become important to you as you share a living space.